Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Day 16 :: RED BARN :: #30in30 Painting a Day Challenge


RED BARN
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"

SOLD! 
This barn has lovely funky angles. At sunset the angles are more pronounced with shadows hanging and falling to accent the angles even more. Offset by the lush greens in the landscape and the gorgeous blooms in front, I think it's obvious why I'd have to paint this scene!

Full disclosure: Argh!! This piece caused me a bit of trouble. Red when lightened is often pink or orange. It's pretty tricky. In shadow colors are cooler. Cooler red is purple. I have so many tones here in the barn reds that I am not used to using. My usual color palette wasn't accessible to me for this building, much as I mentioned in the post for the yellow barn.

Apart from the color, the rigid lines of architecture can be tricky to make feel painterly. It's a bunch to juggle. And so this piece sat on my standing desk waiting until I'd try it again. Feels good to have resolved it.

Friends of ours showed me this place and I was instantly smitten. Instantly! It is magical all times of day all times of year. More paintings will come from this place if all goes according to plan. I pray it all works out and soon! (It's fun to be cryptic.)

Thanks for reading! -kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment