Friday, September 11, 2015

Day 11 :: YELLOW BARN :: #30in30 Painting a Day Challenge

YELLOW BARN
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"

$125 + $8 shipping

One thing I have been working on in my paintings is color. Specifically I'm working on enhancing the color in the shadows. I am trying to make the temperature of the color as well as my selection of hue more interesting.

In this piece from a farm near our home the barn was in shadow overwhelmed by bouncing light from the ground. Yellow is a tricky color to make cool and warm and dark and light. Yellow always seems light! The yellow in light is bright and whitish like lemonade. This yellow is deep as I tried to portray the shadow version of yellow.

You'll also notice the greens in the piece. Cool temperature greens lean toward blue. Warm greens are filled with yellow and orange. I hope you can tell where the shadow line from the barn is quite clearly. And there is one stone that shows sunlight as the rest of the stone wall is in shadow. A fun and quite tricky piece for my eleventh day of painting every day in September! 

Thanks for reading! -kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment