Sunday, September 27, 2015

Day 27 :: REFLECTION :: #30in30 Painting a Day Challenge

REFLECTION
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"
$125 + $8 shipping

This September has been a busy one, and adding a daily painting to the mix has been a tall order some days. Today was one of these days. Nevertheless, the painting got done. And despite the fact that I have eight paintings that were 'back ups' painted before "just in case" I have been diligently going into the studio nightly to make a painting. The discipline has been great. Like I have mentioned before, though, I sincerely miss seeing my husband.

Reflections was a fun piece, and one I was able to play with and stretch the colors. Again there is a specific light story. I wonder that you can tell the time of day this was from? For me, it's obvious. A lot about this piece is obvious -- the time of day, the season, that it's New England. Try as I might, tonight I could not see this piece with new eyes.

I was in my studio working away, listening to the "While She Naps" podcast and getting into the zen of painting when Tim called to me with the latest supermoon lunar eclipse status update . Outside we'd go to see the supercool supermoon. After taking in the celestial phenomenon and not thinking about how old we'll be when this happens again, I'd go back into the studio to continue the piece.

In my classes I am a big advocate of the "walkabout" where you walk away from your piece to come back to it with a new presence. Strange that tonight these walkabouts didn't yield the same result. Is it that I'm spent? Is it that I'm content? Perhaps I'll know the answer to this in time.

Right now, I'm liking a lot about this painting. There are nuances (I may use that word in each post I've made this month, ah well) to the colors of the darks that make me smirk knowingly. The blues in the piece move in an interesting way from purple-blues to turquoise. I love blues. Some parts I'm not sure read for what they are, but then again, the abstractness of them isn't wrong. This need for things to be buttoned up and neat is something I've continually been working on in my paintings. I'm sure I'll continue to work on that for a while ahead.

Off to see the latest status of the moon.

Until tomorrow...with only a few short days remaining in September...
What will I do when this month is through?

Thanks for reading! -kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment