Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Day 22 :: SUNFLOWER COTTAGE :: #30in30 Painting a Day Challenge

SUNFLOWER COTTAGE
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"
$125 + $8 shipping

Today I went to see The Wyeths: America Reflected at the Heritage Museum in Sandwich, MA. The exhibit closes this weekend and it was an imperative for me to get there. So happy it worked out. Three generations of Wyeths inspired me a bunch. I went looking at paintings with key questions in mind. It's fun to find answers by looking at paintings you admire.


The show was in this super-cool military building at the museum.
Its starkness went with the show impeccably well. 


The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere
original oil by NC Wyeth
just one of the gorgeous nocturnes on display

Today's painting is inspired by sights from my drive home. Before getting on the highway, I was getting quick views of so many gorgeous Cape Cod homes and cottages. This one is part of some efficiency cottages all available for rent. I saw the overflowing sunflowers and decided to turn around and take a photo and make some notes. It's fun and a little funny to be in a parking lot with a sketchbook making frantic marks that only make sense to you.

The palette for today's piece is so far from the colors of the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere above. I was in awe of NC Wyeth's nocturnes. His oils had jewel-like tones. I have eight more days of painting with pastel. I'll be interested in playing with oils on a larger scale in October, I'd bet.

Does the car read properly? It was a beat up jalopy of a vehicle which sort of went with the vibe of the efficiency cottages. It is to scale as painted since this road ventured far back to distant tiny houses. I'm not sure if I pulled it off, though. After working on something closely for a decent spell, it's difficult to have new eyes. If it doesn't read properly, I'm going to have to revisit it.

I suspect I'll be making it larger in the near future.

It's day 22 and this is a draining but wonderful exercise. Life isn't well set-up to make this painting schedule too possible on a consistent basis, which is too bad.  The real bummer is that I'm really missing seeing my husband at night. The good from this, though, is artistically and emotionally really good. I can talk about that more in the future. I've got to go to bed!

Thanks for reading! -kmw


No comments:

Post a Comment