Sunday, September 20, 2015

Day 20 :: WINDOW BOX :: #30in30 Painting a Day Challenge

WINDOW BOX
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"
Sold!
In person, this painting is more nuanced. Some dark blues here are scary bright (like in the shutters) and that's not how the painting looks on my shelf next to 19 previous paintings. This painting has a lot of contrast in dark and light color and warm and cool color temperature. Perhaps I made the scanner tired with all of this intricate color.

Tonight I chased everything about this painting. The greens of the plants were too warm, too cool, too bright, too dull, and you get where that's going. This happened for nearly everything in this piece. At one point I thought I picked up a cream colored pastel only to discover it was IRIDESCENT! Oh no! Perhaps that is why my scanner balked. Sparkly glittery whites!!

Each hunt and chase and trying again ended. When I finally put down my last pastel stick, I was happy because I won and am happy with my result. Since I have been painting every day for 20+ days now, I'd presume that painting would get easier. "Ha!" says painting. But it does. What's making the process more difficult are my expectations.

Yesterday I had a study in simplicity, and today is anything but. Architecture, reflections, soft edges and hard, a dramatic light story, and color all play a part in the piece. When I look at it on my desk I am pretty excited about how it came out. Just enough detail to be the way I like it. And, like with every piece I've posted this month -- I learned a lot in simply painting it.

Thanks for reading! -kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment