Saturday, January 23, 2016

Day #23 :: FARM SUNSET :: January Daily Painting Challenge

FARM SUNSET
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"
$125 +$8 shipping

This painting brings me back up to date with the daily paintings. It's a relief. Funny how, while sick and resting, I'm thinking of painting and getting caught up. It was really bothering me! 

Today's final painting was the last from this series of three made today all of the same road. (For those local to me, it's Myrtle Street from the corner of Main to Hanover Street by Holmes Field.) 

Farm Sunset is the western side of the street and so the sunset was a glorious vibrant fireball while across the street for the previous two pieces you could see the moon in a warm blue sky. 

I struggled with the sky in this. As a rule I don't paint sunsets because they always look fake to me when depicted in paintings. I doubt whether the color was that vibrant, that intense, etc. My judgy artist self thinks sunsets are better left to photographers. That is how I felt until I've seen so many beautiful paintings of sunsets by those participating in this challenge! And so I thought I'd try. 

The rock wall was such fun to paint. I love the framing it gives to the composition, too.

Here they all are -- from the same ride home, same moonrise and sunset.





Thanks for reading! ~kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment