Thursday, January 28, 2016

Day #28 :: LATE BLOOMERS :: January Daily Painting Challenge

LATE BLOOMERS
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"
$125 + $8 shipping

The two florals I did at the beginning of the month are like beacons to me about spring and summer to come. When deciding what to paint today, earlier I chose a scene from a Cape Cod beach, and now I'm going back to a happy floral. 

I had a poor photo of these sunflowers I had bought from an enterprising local gardener in early November. I was jealous of the blooms still being produced from this green-thumb's garden and scooped them up from their flower bucket on the table at the side of the road for some ridiculously inexpensive price. When I remember back, I think I bought all of the flowers remaining, and the whole lot didn't cost more than $10. 

Today I struggled trying to make this piece cohesive. There's something fun about the entire top half. The bottom half I'm not sure about. I'll give it some time in the studio and revisit BIG! I have a hankering for some BIG work after a month of littles. 

When I studied for the trans-formative summer in Brittany, France, the artist Susan Lichtman was my teacher. Seeing her paintings was quite important to me in my artistic development. Another artist I follow posted an interview with Professor Lichtman and I immediately went to her website and ogled the paintings. Inspiration everywhere! Her process captivates me and drives me to take more risks and capture more in my work. 

The chair in the right top corner reminds me of her paintings slightly. It's imperfect and I find that imperfection simple perfection. 

Thanks for reading! ~kmw


No comments:

Post a Comment