Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Day #5 :: ENAMEL PITCHER :: January Daily Painting Challenge

ENAMEL PITCHER
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"
$125 + $8 shipping

The kisses of color on the flowers isn't white like you may see in this image, but instead, are a gorgeous deep salmon-tinged pink. Then again, the angle of my monitor may have something to do with how this painting looks to others. I'm never sure. 

There are parts of this piece that I am in love with: The dark part where the negative space of the flowers meets the pitcher as well as the dark lip of the pitcher. Oooh! I like that part. Also the colors of the pitcher. The strokes are loose and fun not all bound in a straight jacket like I'm often one to do to my marks. 

As much as I love flowers, I don't paint a lot of them. The entries for the past two days have been fun challenges. The good news is that they're challenges. Without a challenge there is no growth. 

For a spell, I've felt something in me percolating. I want to make some hybridized artwork of fine art skill with freestyle design. I'm thinking that pieces like this are my segue. Although as I look at this piece now, I think it's certainly less of the freestyle design/illustration than I may be inclined to go in the future. It's a process and I'm feeling the forward momentum!

When it comes down to the nitty gritty of it -- who are we painting for? I'm often torn. 

Thanks for reading! ~kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment