Monday, August 27, 2012

Purple

When I recently stopped in to The Preservation Framer and Art Gallery I was asked if I had any purple paintings I could donate to a purple-themed benefit auction. 

Wanting to help, I went to my studio and found I had nothing available (my recent studio sale made sure of that) so I set to making new work. 

                               ©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
                          MARSH DAWN
                               original pastel, 7x5"





Purple is an interesting color. In art school I was told not to use the word but to instead say "violet" which, of course, makes me say purple every chance I can. A cool color, purple can sometimes seem so warm, depending upon its leaning toward red or blue. And one of my absolutely favorite blues in the world - Breton Blue which is the ubiquitous color of Brittany, France is often seen on its own and described as purple. 

 ©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
   SUNSET COLOR
      original pastel, 7x5"



These two works are 7x5" and each ventures to depict purple. The top is captures dawn's light with a hint of warm at the horizon. The bottom is about sunset. Perhaps both sort of seem interchangeable. 

I brought these two to have the gallery select which one seemed most purple to them. Can you guess which they chose? 

No comments:

Post a Comment