Friday, August 3, 2012

Focus on light

The other day I tried a new surface for me with pastels: velour. 
Wow! It was a wonderful experience for me who has a heavy hand and has a hard time making things look soft. 

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
              a new surface with an old reliable subject

When I try out new supplies, I generally work on something that feels familiar to me. In this case I went with my hay bales, but I've also had a great time with my standard marshes. (Did I mention Tim threatened to start calling me "Marsha"?)


©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
HAY BALES AT SUNSET
original pastel, 14x11" unframed

This new surface had me all aflutter. Wow did I ever have a great time! Quickly departing from my comfort zone I started up on new pieces focusing on light, color, temperature, and all that good stuff. 

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
SUNLIT PATH
original pastel, 11x14" unframed

Light plays a major contrasting role in what I decided to paint, even in this Beach Grasses piece below where it plays a more subtle part than in the one above. 



©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
                             BEACH GRASSES
original pastel, 7x7" unframed

Temperature choices were foremost on my mind while created these pieces. 

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
                              BEACH ROCKS
original pastel, 7x7" unframed

This night we were on vacation and suddenly I needed to go for a walk. So glad we all did! Behold the most glorious sky I ever did see! More paintings of this subject to come, be sure. 


©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
SUMMER SKY
original pastel, 7x7" unframed

 Always liking to do a smaller piece, I figured I'd take a shot at a smaller, slightly altered version of the earlier Sunlit Path. Small works are such fun!

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
SUNLIT PATH
original pastel, 7x7" unframed

These works are all available at Gallery9. I'm nervously looking forward to hearing the feedback to them. 

Thanks for reading! ~kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment