Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A series of sunsets

Often in my classes I discuss the importance of working in a series. A wonderful tool for delving into color and composition relationships, series work lets the focus shift because you're not concerned with subjects to paint. 

Here I post my latest series in the order they were painted. 

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
SUMMER SKY
original pastel, 7x7" unframed


We also discuss the issue of painting a sunset. "Sunsets put a lot of pressure on you because it's not a photo. If not done well, the validity of the piece is suspect." People may question if the landscape could really look like that.

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
RED REFLECTED
original pastel, 24x9" unframed


Like with so many things, I find myself in a contrary position and often explore further the subjects I bring up with my students. Here are four sunset paintings, done in quick succession, where I play with light, color, and composition. 

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
CLOUDS AND COLOR
original pastel, 10x8" unframed

 All the paintings were such fun to do and these photos don't capture the vibrancy of the light that the original does. Also, they don't quite feel as wonderful as when I was in the moment, taking photos, notes, etc.

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
SETTING SUN
original pastel, 24x9" unframed

Such fun. With each go-'round I learn. Can't wait to take on some more. I've been working from my color notes made on location and black and white photos. An interesting approach that seems to be helping me out.

Thanks for reading! ~kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment