Sunday, September 10, 2017

Daily Painting Sept 2017 :: No. 10 of 30

The beginning of the month starts with organization and a huge transition -- daily paintings and school starts again. Such planning and time-management skills are in use, and I get lulled into a false sense of security. "I've got this down! A natural time-manager!!"

And now, day 10, and I'm posting at 10pm rather than 7:15am. Took 10 days :) 

BUT --- the paintings! I have been having fun and working hard. My show in October is coming up and I need to work for that. I have commissions coming due. I have to get going on those. But these small works have me inspired and wanting to paint all the time.


Daily Painting No. 10 of 30
3x3" oil on 5x7" oil paper


While looking for a piece of paper recently, I stumbled into my filing cabinet that represents my life put away into four drawers all neat but sort of like that last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark. What treasures did I stow away that need to be studied? For a while I remembered everything that was in there, but if I'm honest, that was 20 years ago and things just keep going in there!

I mention this now because I found some work I did while studying in France waaaaay back in 2000. My paintings were neat-o! I was on the brink of something fun. Simplicity. Modern. Ah! Painting everyday for a summer will bring you to a new level. 

One painting in particular has me inspired. And so, while working, I'm really thinking a bit differently. Today's painting starts along those lines. Oil is a tricky medium for me. I want to paint FAST but it demands planning from me. And patience. And diligence in getting clean mixtures. Pastel isn't the same for me, but the results I want aren't the same either. 


Daily Painting No. 10 of 30
3x3" original oil



Maybe I'll post some of my paintings I did while studying in France someday. I love to look at them. It was a magical time for me, oddly spiritual and creative and wholly unique. I am blessed to have had such a time. 

Reminder: my local art classes are going to start up again the week of September 19th. Zullo Gallery is a fantastic spot and I'd love to have you join us! Thanks! 

Thanks so much for reading! ~kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment