Monday, July 30, 2012

Watercolors of art supplies

As mentioned in yesterday's post, I've been creating new work for a show at Gallery9 using watercolor and mixed media to get the creative juices flowing. Last night's fruit studies and still lives (just can't make myself write "lifes") ended with a simple watercolor of a paint brush. 

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
NO 1 SABLE MOP
original watercolor, 3x11" unframed
available 11x14 framed " $75

Today I was eager to get back at these paint brush paintings. 
©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
GIANT MOP
original watercolor, 3x11" unframed
available 11x14" framed $75


I figured I'd work in a few other treasures from my studio. 
My awl is a go-to framing tool. 
Of course the ever-present Sharpie marker in assorted colors can be found as well. 



©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
GIVING MY AWL
original watercolor, 2x6" unframed
available $20


©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
MAGENTA SHARPIE
original watercolor, 3x11" unframed
available $30

 Blue is my favorite color and my artist pencils tend to be these Mars Lumograph pencils in just about every hardness they make. When I searched for a classic yellow No. 2 pencil, you know, like a Ticonderoga -- the classic -- I couldn't find one. Only these blue guys.


©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
PENCIL NUB
original watercolor, 2x6" unframed
available 11x14" framed $75

 Lucy joined me for the afternoon painting session. She was ADORABLE to paint with. See her assortment of 'junior' art supplies? She organized them just so. I was proud of her work and her diligence. I'm biased but still!

Lucy and I enjoyed painting together today.
What an amazing afternoon we shared.

She even did some paintings of paint brushes, prompting me to do a painting of her brush. How are kids supposed to make a masterpiece and feel like they're any good at painting when their brush gets splayed and horrible and is made of plastic shards that feel like mono filament/fishing line? 

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
PIPPA'S BRUSH, a splayed mess
original watercolor, 2x6" unframed
available $20

My brushes are old and worn and cared for. 
Watercolor is a medium that requires good materials to make a difference in your outcome. 

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
NO 4 FLAT
original watercolor, 3x11" unframed
available 11x14" framed $75

In person these paintings look so much better. Try as I might, this is the best I could get them to look here. 

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
SQUIRREL MOP
original watercolor, 3x11" unframed
available 11x14" framed $75

Generally I don't use a fan brush but that doesn't mean I don't have one.
Nor does it mean they aren't good painting fodder. It's pretty cool-looking for a paintbrush.

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
STAINED FAN
original watercolor, 3x11" unframed
available 11x14" framed $75

My students in the Neponset Valley Artists will love this one of my teensy weensy brush, the double zero, 00, or double aught. Mine is so worn out and tweaked at the end from sitting in water just a spot too long. 

©2012 Kim Morin Weineck
WORN OUT DOUBLE AUGHT
original watercolor, 3x11" unframed
available $30

Still makes for a fun painting. 

Thanks for reading!
~kmw

1 comment: