Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Day 6 :: RIVER :: September Daily Paintings


RIVER
original pastel, 6x6"
©2016 Kim Morin Weineck
SOLD
Day 6 and it's shaping up to be an insanely busy month. School began August 30th and I somehow thought I'd get a jump on things so September would be of ease. Alas, no such luck. I'm drained and may need a pep talk to even start on a painting tomorrow. Content like that is really supposed to make it into blog posts. My bad. 

The pastel above was painted after my bold, quick, play with the acrylic below. I am SO IN LOVE with how this pastel looks. The colors, the marks, the scale of the shapes and the rhythm of the darks make me so happy. This is one that I will have a hard time parting with. This is one that I think of when I talk about being a painter of marshes so often that my husband calls me "Marsha."

Working in acrylic and 18x18' is a whole new animal than the 6x6" pastel pieces I have done in the past. It's day six but I have done a stack of 12 paintings so far. These six 18x18" acrylics are interesting. The compelling part of this challenge is that pile. I want to see it grow and I want to improve when it comes to the acrylics. 

RIVER
original acrylic, 18x18"
©2016 Kim Morin Weineck
Studio lighting made photographing
this piece a bit difficult tonight. 
The reason for the acrylic starts is to take them somewhere different: to play with color and see the composition differently so I don't seem formulaic in my pastels. Honestly, I so enjoy doing the pastels because I can do them with relative ease. When it comes to brushes and color mixing and larger scaled works -- it's not the same. I feel a bit tense.

Today's tension in the studio was palpable. Experimenting with marks and color started happening late in the painting near when the bus was coming. Tomorrow's new piece hopefully will continue where this one left off, because I was nearing somewhere I liked! 

PRICING NOTE:  I am taking this challenge to heart and taking risks. The work created is a labor of love and learning. For this #30in30 challenge my pieces are experiments and priced accordingly. Each piece is $50 ($10 shipping if you're not local) rather than $125 for my usual gallery-worthy work. Only my pastels will be available at this time. Email kimweineck@gmail.com to purchase. Of course, thank you! 

Thanks for reading! ~kmw



No comments:

Post a Comment