Thursday, September 1, 2016

Day 1 :: THREE SHRUBS :: September Daily Paintings

THREE SHRUBS
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"
$50 + shipping
PRICING NOTE:  I am taking this challenge to heart and taking risks. The work created is a labor of love and learning. For this #30in30 challenge my pieces are experiments and priced accordingly. Each piece is $50 ($10 shipping if you're not local) rather than $125 for my gallery-worthy work. Only my pastels will be available at this time. Email kimweineck@gmail.com to purchase. Of course, thank you! 


At a recent family reunion, one of my creative aunts and I had a quick conversation about the spirit of childhood. Adults can get so pent up, yet as children there's an exuberant sense of freedom. My aunt gave me props by saying something like:  You know that feeling, I'm sure. As an artist you must let your inner child play and explore all the time.

Funny thing is that I don't let my inner child play pretty much ever. If she comes out, Blam! Inner critic shuts that mess down with some sort of blurt. Art is a struggle and not supposed to be fun or come easily. Artists are depressed. To make art, one must have angst!

My artistic inner child likes to use BIG brushes on BIG paper with cheapo paint and make messes sometimes. For my challenge this month, I'm working on being a little more experimental and see where it takes me. I have no theme for subject as such. My aim is to paint more, paint big, and feel my way through the work.  And to be more abstract (that goal will take some work.)

Today I thought about this goal and decided I'd visit a subject but paint it larger and in acrylics. Acrylics aren't my strong medium and my hand isn't as confident as I would like. Today's painting ideally could have had less marks, but I was having FUN!

THREE SHURBS STUDY
by Kim Morin Weineck
original acrylic on paper, 18x18"
The acrylic study informed the pastel. By the time I painted that one hours later I was mentally in a great place to make art. It flowed from me all zen-like.

We shall see about tomorrow.
Thanks for reading! ~kmw


No comments:

Post a Comment