Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Push yourself


 As an art instructor, I often say the same things over and over. Describing color and detail and abstraction while teaching a workshop, I explained ways one may loosen up and explore relationships in art.  It seemed appropriate that I taught by example and so I made these few studies.

©2013 Kim Morin Weineck
STUDY No. 3, 4x3"

Pick a reference at random. Collect all the colors you think are needed to render your study. In pastel this is such fun - selecting your color notes and laying them near each other to see how they relate. Test yourself to use only the colors you initially select. Test yourself more by putting a limit on the amount you can choose ;)

©2013 Kim Morin Weineck
STUDY No. 5,  3X4"

Goodness me, they were such fun! And while they're 'abstracted' they aren't abstract. You know it was a sunset sky, a cottage lane, and a beach and treeline inspiring these works.

©2013 Kim Morin Weineck
STUDY No. 7, 3x3"

And all of this came from this more serious piece on gessoed gatorboard. I'll get back into it, but during the workshop, it was too fussy for me. It was the piece that spurred me to the first one in this post - which I have to say I like MUCH better than this.

©2013 Kim Morin Weineck
PASTEL STUDY 8X10"
The start of a sunset in pastel on kraft-paper gatorboard with a pastel ground

For me it's going to be about finding a balance. When I posted the album of these studies on my Facebook page I was so SEIZED UP and went to delete the album on numerous occasions. (In fact, I still may do that.)


All of my studies. I love how they look together!

Good things will come from this practice. Color relationships are trued up. Composition skills are increased. I can guess that my class will be exploring this idea as well in a near future class! 

No comments:

Post a Comment