Thursday, September 10, 2015

Day 10 :: MARSH FOG :: #30in30 Painting a Day Challenge

MARSH FOG
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"

at The Drawing Room, Marion, MA

It's day 10 and it's quite something to see my paintings all lined up on my studio shelf. If you'd like to see my work for this September challenge, take a look at my website and click on the #30in30 page. I'm uploading my new paintings there nearly daily.

When I look at my #30in30 paintings I am struck by the amount of contrast of dark and light that comes through. When my students discuss possible painting subjects, one constant we discuss for success is that the work should have a distinct light story. When a piece is from sunset it's easy to know the light story is the drama of the brilliant sky against the darkening land.

Sometimes the light story is that there is no light story. This is acceptable as long as it's deliberate. In today's painting the marsh is fogged in. The greens in the distance become blurred together. There is little contrast. It's a great study in greens and edges and feels like fog. In essence it's the perfect explanation of a light story telling  a deliberate story of having little light. In this foggy day, the light story is diffused.

Two notes:
I've had questions about an exhibition of my paintings for this challenge. In October I'll be hosting an open studio event at my home. More on this to come!

Yesterday I was signed on by Palette Fine Art Gallery in Sandwich, MA. I'm excited to be among their talented artists. If you're in that area on Cape Cod, please do stop by!

Thanks for reading! -kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment