Monday, September 7, 2015

Day 7 :: FIELD SUNSET :: #30in30 Painting a Day Challenge

FIELD SUNSET
by Kim Morin Weineck
original pastel, 6x6"



at The Drawing Room, Marion, MA 

We are a week in to Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 painting challenge. I'm developing quite a system: Go through the day, Make dinner, Clean up, Kids to bed, talk with Tim, Head to the studio and paint!

The scene I painted today is near our home. We moved to a wonderful suburb of Boston less than two years ago and have been enjoying all that our new neighborhood has to offer. When we originally drove by this field en route to see our potential house, I was struck by this beautiful open land. I recall having had a feeling deep inside that we had found our home because I was supposed to be near this field and find inspiration in it. How funny to have felt that way when we hadn't even seen the house! And yet, here we are. The little wish I made came true.

This is my second painting highlighting this spot. My piece, "Two Trees" from two days ago was from this field. In that piece the trees are out of view of this composition and are sort of three inches to the right off the painting surface.

When I teach on Thursday nights my students often show me some things they are considering painting. We generally get into conversations about light and how the "light story" is foremost. A week into this challenge I am noticing my paintings have a distinct light story. Whew! It's good to know I follow my own advice!!

Thanks for reading! Until tomorrow --- kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment