Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Put yourself out there

As an artist, I honestly find art shows a bit scary. Having your work out for all to see is an invitation for a response. Talk about vulnerable! I've always felt that by the time you're ready to put yourself out there, you're ready for the response, whatever it may be -- good or bad. It's easy to say but harder to pull it off.

Gallery9 hosted a wonderful group show called "The Great Frame Up" where we had to create a piece to coordinate with a frame we selected in a blind draw -- totally backwards from the norm. When I opened my frame and saw the 1" flat turquoise wood burl I'll admit I knew this wasn't going to be easy. My still life came together well and three judges awarded me 3rd place. Hurray!

My painting with the 3rd place
Golden Brush award above it
©2013 Kim Morin Weineck

BLUE JAR
original pastel, 10x8"
The very next day my work was shown in the Norwood Art Association's 35th Annual Arts in the Park event. Imagine my feeling when I walked up to my piece and saw this blue ribbon on it! The beautiful sunshine-filled day got even better! 

©2013 Kim Morin Weineck
MARSH RAIN
original pastel, 12x9"
For all the painting going on in solitude, it feels quite nice to have my work recognized, and I'm so appreciative. 

Thanks for reading! -kmw

No comments:

Post a Comment